Saturday, October 28, 2017

Art Making/Material Exploration: Exploring Line

1. What was it like using your hand as subject matter for a drawing?

 

I always find drawing hands to be a challenge, and have actually never drawn my own. I definitely think I should practice more!
 

2. What media did you select - pencil or charcoal? Why?

 

I selected charcoal because I prefer to paint with soft pastels, and the soft charcoal pencil I used had a similar consistency.
 

3. How did it feel to create a drawing with your non-dominant hand?


It was so uncomfortable to draw with my non-dominant hand. I imagine the feeling I had must be similar to what small children, learning to write their name for the first time, must experience. I also think that the awkward, frustrating feeling I had must be similar to what someone  going to physical therapy for a stroke must feel; it's the feeling of learning something you know all over again.

 4. Compare and contrast your final drawings. Do you think they are successful studies?

 

My dominant hand drawing is so much better than my non-dominant hand drawing. It is so glaringly obvious which one is done with my right hand (dominant) that the captions I wrote for each one are almost unnecessary.
 

5. Would you consider using your non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future?

 

I don't think I would consider using my non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future unless I had invested many hours of practice. It is just too frustrating, and I feel as though I can better express myself with my dominant right hand.

Dominant Hand Drawing versus Non-Dominant Hand Drawing, charcoal on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment