Thursday, December 14, 2017

Course Content: Questions Answered

COURSE CONTENT
  
1. Which assignment did you ENJOY working on the BEST? Why?

I really enjoyed the assignments that had us getting 'our hands dirty'. I loved the process of the logo design and the mask making process was also wonderful; in both cases I got to be creative and imaginative, and that always makes me happy. 

 

2. Which assignment did you ENJOY working on the LEAST? Why?

 Although I love to paint, I had a hard time with creating my self-portrait. My life at the moment is all about my young family; I always put myself and my needs on the back burner. To focus a painting that was of ME felt weird, it felt wrong, like I should be focusing on a 'worthier' subject than myself. I don't like to stop and reflect on me or the way I look - inside I feel like a teenager, but I look in the mirror and that's not what I see anymore. I would like to do more self-portraits though, I need to do things that take me out of my comfort zone so that I can grow as a person and and artist.
 

3. How did you like using BLACKBOARD?

BLACKBOARD is amazing! I received my BFA in 1995, so I have that experience to compare to my student experience today. I love the 24 hour access I have in BLACKBOARD, and there is so much information at my fingertips. I feel more efficient with BLACKBOARD, and as an adult who didn't grow up with the internet I don't like to feel 'left behind', I always am eager to learn the latest 'tech'.

  
4. What is your opinion of the Discussion Groups in this course?

I like the idea of the Discussion Groups, but found that the same few people would be participating every time. Personally, I prefer discussing topics when I can look at a person's eyes, hear how they are speaking, what they're passionate about and what doesn't interest them. There were so many interesting videos that we watched, I even sent a few for my parents to watch (they loved them!). I would have enjoyed sitting in a group and talking about the topics. But logistically it would be difficult for an online class to have classroom-type discussions, I understand that. One nice thing is that I met a student in my Arts in Living class who also took AED 200; we became friendly and would often talk or message each other about what we were doing for AED 200.

5. Did you participate in any of the extra credit projects in previous modules? If so, what was your opinion of them? (mandala, elgin marbles, culture, art critics)

I enjoyed the mandala extra-credit, and I think it's fantastic to have the opportunity to raise your grade, especially if there is a module that may have given you more trouble or had to submit late.

6. If you had the opportunity to change this course:


What would you keep? 

Honestly, I feel that each module was a great learning experience. We looked at so many different arts and artists in the book, the videos were all fascinating, and the 'hands-on' art projects were fun. The class is well-rounded, there is something for everyone. I may not like every single style, but I want to understand and appreciate all kinds of art so that I can share it with future students as well as broaden my horizons!


What would you remove?

I really wouldn't remove anything, the class is so diverse, I never would have imagined that I could learn so many new things in a semester-long online class.
 

What would you add?

I would add even more hands-on projects, I loved trying new media, for example I rarely use acrylic and I never would have made a mask unless I had been asked to.


7. Would you recommend this course to your peers?

Definitely; it's super-convenient to take a class online and work at your own pace, and this course is packed full of information and resources.


8. Please list any other comments you would like to share.




I was beyond intimidated when I decide to go back to college. Walking on campus again gave me a weird sense of 'deja-vu' - so much has changed, yet so much felt familiar. I was nervous that I would be out of place with so many young adults. All that has changed; I have a new confidence in myself and my capabilities, I made new friends, in fact I realized that it didn't matter if we had an age difference, when you are passionate about art it brings you to a common ground. I am positive that I am on the right course, it sounds a little strange, but I am more invested in learning new things than I was when I was younger. My mind is thirsty for every new thing that I can learn or create, I am so happy. As I mentioned, I didn't know what to expect with an online college course, but it's been a great experience, and I truly appreciate the time you have spent putting together so many different modules for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment